Sunday, November 16, 2008

Rival Seal-A-Meal: Yay for Kitchen Toys!

I am one happy camper. Last night my husband came home with a Rival Seal A Meal for me. This is something I have wanted to try out for a long time, but because I try to always avoid paying full price for things, it was out of the question.

Hubby made me proud, though. He knows how I feel about discounts, so when he saw this one on a clearance shelf, he snapped it up. Yay for me! Yay for hubby! He had done some grocery shopping so I was able to try out (read as ‘play’) with the sealer right away.




I am one happy camper. Last night my husband came home with a Rival Seal A Meal for me. This is something I have wanted to try out for a long time, but because I try to always avoid paying full price for things, it was out of the question.

Hubby made me proud, though. He knows how I feel about discounts, so when he saw this one on a clearance shelf, he snapped it up. Yay for me! Yay for hubby! He had done some grocery shopping so I was able to try out (read as ‘play’) with the sealer right away.

It is always a good idea to break down the foods you plan to store as soon as possible. Of course, that was what I told him as I unwrapped the new toy and began to seal away every thing that could possibly be sealed. Lucky for me there were leftovers in the fridge that could be theoretically be frozen for later. You know, instead of using them today.

Heehee.

I have to admit it was a blast to play with. I can see many uses for the Seal A Meal. According to the book that came with it, the storage time on vacuum sealed items are greatly increased. With the size of our household food does not last as long as I would like. Dry products, such as flour and corn meal lasts the longest. This is mainly because I try to buy those in bulk. With a sealer, flour can be sealed away and kept much longer. Also many homemade mixes can last much longer and not need to be frozen. Freezing dry mixes makes them last longer but reduce room in the freezer.

We do not have a chest freezer. Our income is not enough to warrant owning one at this time. The upfront cost and electricity on top of not being able to afford huge bulk shopping are the main reasons. Actually, the only reasons. In the near future I hope to remedy this. For now, most of our storage will depend solely on the freezer on our fridge.

This is of benefit for many of you readers who may not own a chest freezer. I will be able to give you tips on how to make the most of the room you have. You will know that I am giving you good advice, because it is what we have to do here at home!

The sealer is going to make a huge difference in how our meals work. Instead of zip top bags, I will be able to seal away leftovers or extra batches of things and not need to worry about it going bad. Even being kept in the fridge, food will last one average twice as long! I can’t tell you how much of a difference this is going to make for us. No leftovers going to waste at all, frozen foods lasting up to 3 years, and being able to purchase discount vegetables to freeze at not even half the price of ‘regular’ bin will equal a ton of money in our pockets.

So, stay tuned for more adventures with the Seal A Meal. Fun, vacuuming, and savings. What else could you want?

3 comments:

VirtualWordsmith said...

We've had one of these for a couple of years, now. I love it!

Julie said...

I'm having a ball with it. Last night I sealed up all the leftovers while hubby laughed at me. :-)

I'm going to run out of bag-roll!

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.